Fun fact: Spring fever is not just a saying. Experts say the body’s makeup changes due to different diets, hormone production and temperature during the warmer months. As the snow continues to melt this week I can say for sure I am well into spring fever mode. The boys are itching to be outside (we actually shoveled a path to the backyard swings today) and hit the playgrounds and I cannot wait to open windows and air out the long winter germs and dust. Looking ahead to Friday’s equinox, I have rounded up 10 ways to celebrate the first day of spring.
1. Another fun fact & a science experiment. According to many, and maybe it’s urban legend that on the spring equinox you can in fact stand an egg up on it’s end. The science says that due to the earth’s position with the sun certain gravitational pulls come into effect. Experts say that if you have enough patients you can balance an egg any day of the year but it is certainly worth the try (and the science lesson)! More info here.
2. No better way to celebrate than with a free scoop of ice cream at Rita’s Italian Ice!
3. They don’t call it spring cleaning for nothing. The beginning of spring is one of the few days during the entire year I can actually stand the thought of cleaning. I love the cool air blowing through the house and the lemony smell of cleaning products on a beautiful spring day!
4. It’s been a long winter, treat yourself! The first day of spring this year falls right at the tail end of Hudson Valley Restaurant Week. Go out for lunch or dinner with a discounted, fixed menu at many favorite eateries and grab a fruity frozen drink… it’s officially spring!
5. Visit the Easter Bunny! Another sure sign of spring is when the Easter Bunnies start hitting local malls and events. You can get photos taken of the kids at many locations throughout the Hudson Valley. Our favorite is Adams Fairacre Farms since it’s FREE and when my kids are screaming bloody murder at the giant over sized rabbit on two legs I don’t mind
torturing photographing them for a funny photo for their senior yearbooks one day. 😉 Though my kids usually do enjoy waving to him from afar at the Poughkeepsie Galleria’s beautiful set up. We have a great list of bunny photo ops in the HV here.
6. Celebrate spring by doing your part to fight against local hunger at the Empty Bowls Fundraiser in Warwick this Friday. The event is completely family friendly featuring live music, kids games, pottery activities, silent auction, delicious soups and desserts and bowls for purchase!
7. Forecast is showing a few flurries on the first day of spring this year but I am still a firm believer in spring being a sure sign of puddle jumping season! You can visit a park, take a walk down the street or find a puddle in your own driveway just get out there, get wet and dirty and enjoy those first signs of spring!
Another great idea to get in the mud is to bring your gardening indoors and start your spring seedlings! Here are some expert tips on curing winter gloom with spring blooms.
8. I get excited for the warmer months to hit the drive in with my boys. Luckily the wait is over in Orange County.. The Warwick Drive in is having their Grand re-opening on the first day of Spring! You can catch The SpongeBob Movie with the kids at 8pm. A great way to welcome the new season!
The next two events are actually happening on the second & third days of spring but both are family fun ways to welcome spring that they are making the list too!
9. The Signs of spring walk at Esopus Nature Preserve gets families outside and closer to nature on 3/21. Whether the snow is on the ground or not you will probably still catch a glimpse of a variety of wildlife including birds, plants and more.
10. Poughkidsie is throwing a birthday party on the 22nd celebrating the arrival of spring. Kids can create a flower pot, enjoy pizza & juice, creative play in the village and face painting from 12-2pm.
Do you have any special 1st day traditions? Share in the comments!