1. Giving mom the day off from cooking is one of the most popular things to do on Mother’s Day. So take mom to brunch at one of the great family restaurants in the Hudson Valley. I suggest the Mother’s Day brunch at Vassar College’s Alumni house from Twisted Soul, or the Bear Mountain inn.
2. Spend quality time raising money for a wonderful local charity, Sparrows Nest. The ladies over at Mommy Dash are hosting a family fun Walk in Hopewell Junction on Mother’s Day. After the walk I recommend East Fishkill Provisions where they are serving up a delicious breakfast/ lunch buffet from 11-3 with indoor/ outdoor seating and free for kids under 5!
3. Enjoy an event with the whole family such as the Apple Blossom Festival in Red Hook, The Mother’s Day tea-riffic tea party in Cornwall-on-Hudson, or The Fancy Nancy Mother’s Day Tea (open to the first 10 children ages 5-8).
4. Plant a tree with your mother at Falling Waters Preserve in Saugerties. Bring water and lunch and spend time with mom getting dirty with mother nature.
5. For the creative mom take her to Paintbrushes and Party on Mother’s day for a special Mother’s Day paint and brunch event. You can paint together while sipping on mimosas and soft drinks and enjoying a light buffet brunch.
6. Treat mom to the Annual Tulip Festival & Mother’s Day Celebration in Ellenville on Mother’s Day. Mom can shop local vendors and the whole family will enjoy the live music, delicious lunch buffet and illusionist, David Garrity.
7. Take mom to the fair! For the carnival loving moms, the Hudson Valley Fair is in town! The whole family can enjoy shows, rides, games and my favorite, fair food!
8. Take a family friendly tour of the gardens at Clermont and enjoy a beautiful tea with mom at the Mother’s Day Tea at Clermont State Historic Site.
9. Bring mom to the movies. Indoor or out, there are some great theaters in the Hudson Valley and most of the drive- ins are opened! My top pick would be Four Brother’s Drive- In, Amenia. Before the show grab dinner next door at Four Brother’s Pizza and snacks at the snack shack.
10. Take a walk and maybe bring along a picnic. A few of my top picks for family friendly spots are the Saugerties Lighthouse, Poets’ Walk,Storm King Art Center, Bear Mountain, and the Mohonk Preserve.
Happy Mother’s Day!